Lawyer Shaking Hands With A Client Stock Photo

If you have been injured at work, understanding the workers’ compensation process can help ensure you receive your workers’ compensation benefits. Indiana’s workers’ compensation laws are designed to protect workers who are injured in a workplace accident. The system provides medical care for injured workers in addition to other benefits. However, an injured worker must take certain steps to receive payments under workers’ compensation.

What Do I Do If I Am Injured at Work?

If you are injured at work, you must report the injury to your employer immediately. Do not wait to report your injury or you may lose your right to file a workers’ compensation claim. Once you report your injury, you need to seek medical attention. Check with your employer or its insurance carrier to determine if you must see a specific doctor.

Under Indiana’s worker’s comp laws, your employer or its insurance carrier can specify the doctor who provides treatment for your workplace injury. If you choose to treat with another doctor, you are responsible for the costs. You can request an independent medical examination if you are unhappy with the doctor that your employer choose to provide treatment for your injuries. However, you must follow the correct procedures for requesting the IME, or you could jeopardize your workers’ compensation claim.

It is important to attend all medical appointments and follow the doctor’s instructions. For example, if the doctor advises you to stay out of work, do not attempt to return to work without the doctor’s approval. Refusing to follow doctor’s instructions can result in your claim being denied or delayed.

Payment of Benefits

Workers’ compensation benefits should cover your medical bills. Make sure to tell your doctor and all other medical providers that the injury is related to a workplace accident. Medical providers should send all invoices for your treatment to the insurance company for your employer. If the insurance company denies your claim, you need to contact an Indiana workers’ compensation attorney immediately to discuss appealing the denial of your workers’ compensation claim.

In addition to paying your medical bills, the workers’ comp carrier may pay you for your lost wages if you are out of work because of your injury. If you are out of work for more than seven days, you may be entitled to receive Temporary Partial Disability payments. TPD benefits pay a portion of your lost wages while you are out of work receive treatment for your injuries. However, you are only allowed to receive two-thirds of your wages in TPD benefits. Unlike a personal injury claim, workers’ compensation benefits do not reimburse you in full for lost wages.

Filing a Workers’ Compensation Claim in Indiana

If you have questions about workers’ comp benefits or filing a workers’ comp claim, you should consult with an experienced Indiana workers’ compensation attorney. An experienced attorney can answer your questions about a workplace injury and file a claim for benefits. Your attorney can also file a worker’s compensation appeal if your claim is denied.

When you are hurt at work, our attorneys are here to help. We can take the stress of filing a claim off your shoulders so you can focus solely on your recovery. Contact the Ken Nunn Law Office by telephone at 1-800-CALL-KEN or 1-800-225-5536 or chat with a representative on our website.

Your first appointment with an attorney is a free, no-obligation case evaluation where you can get free legal advice about filing for benefits for your workplace injury.