Ken Nunn Logo




Do Minor Car Accidents Need To Be Reported In Bloomington?

Is there really such a thing as a “minor” car accident? There may be very little damage and there may be no injuries but there is nothing “minor” about a car accident. At the very least, you must deal with reporting the collision to the police, your insurance company, and dealing with a repair shop.

If you are involved in a car accident that results in any bodily injury or at least $1,000 in property damage, you must report the collision to the police. It is also important that you have a police report as evidence of the car accident even though a police report is not admissible as evidence in a trial. If you need to retain a personal injury attorney, the police report can provide information that may lead to additional evidence to prove the other driver was at fault for the crash.

Steps to Take After Car Accidents

Car accidents occur in Bloomington every day. Chances are you will be involved in one or more car accidents during your lifetime. Hopefully, you will never be involved in a car accident that results in traumatic injuries; however, even minor car accidents should be handled in the same manner as any other car crash.

If you are involved in a Bloomington car accident, try to remain calm, pull over to the side of the road (if possible and safe) and follow these steps:

  • Call 911 – Call to report the collision and to request the police and emergency medical assistance, if needed. Wait for the police and medical assistance to arrive.
  • Collect Information – If you can safely exit your vehicle and you are able to do so physically, take photographs of the accident scene, especially the other vehicle. Note the license number, make, model, and color. If any eye witnesses are present, ask them for their names and contact information. While waiting for the police to arrive, make notes about how the collision occurred while it is fresh on your mind.
  • Contact Your Insurance Company – Report the car accident to your insurance company but do not sign anything until you have consulted with an attorney. Depending on the situation, you may be filing a claim against your own insurance company (i.e. uninsured motorist coverage); therefore, you do not want to do anything that could hurt your claim.
  • Go To The Doctor – If you did not require emergency medical assistance, go to your doctor as soon as possible for two reasons. First, your health is your top priority. You may have injuries that you are not aware of and you need to be checked by a physician. The second reason is for your accident claim. If you are injured, you need documentation verifying your injuries for the accident claim.
  • Contact an Attorney – Even “minor” car accidents can result in thousands of dollars in damages. The car accidents attorneys of The Ken Nunn Law Office can guide you through the process of filing an accident claim to receive compensation for your injuries, damages, and losses.

If you or a family member is injured in a car accident, you need to focus on your recovery. Let our attorneys take care of dealing with the insurance company and other parties while you focus on your health and your family.

Do You Need a Bloomington Car Accident Attorney?

We offer free consultations for accident victims. Contact us by using our Live Chat option online or call 1-800-CALL-KEN or 1-800-225-5536 to speak with a representative.

Related Posts