Man Using His Smart Phone To Report A Car Accident Stock Photo

Every state in the country has minimum automobile insurance requirements. In Indiana, every driver is required to have the following insurance coverage:

  • $25,000 in bodily injury coverage for one person
  • $50,000 for bodily injury coverage for two or more people
  • $10,000 in property damage coverage

If a driver operates a vehicle without the minimum insurance coverage, state law imposes financial and other penalties including suspending driving privileges for up to one year.

In addition to the state minimum liability insurance coverage, the state also requires that all new Indiana automobile liability insurance policies include uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage in the following amounts:

  • Property damage coverage in the amount of $25,000
  • Uninsured motorist coverage for bodily injured in the amount of $25,000 for one person and $50,000 for two or more people
  • Underinsured motorist coverage for bodily insurance in the amount of $50,000

Drivers can reject uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage by signing a document refusing this coverage. However, as car accident lawyers, we recommend you consider carrying both uninsured and underinsured motorist coverage.  In most cases, the premiums are relatively inexpensive compared to the protection offered.

What is Uninsured and Underinsured Motorist Insurance Coverage?

Even though state law requires that all drivers carry minimum insurance coverage, many drivers choose to break that law and operate a vehicle without insurance. Unfortunately, if you are injured in a car accident with an uninsured driver, you are responsible for paying your medical bills and other expenses. You can sue the uninsured driver; however, most of these drivers do not have assets that you can access for payment of your damages. In other words, you are simply out of luck because a driver chose to drive without insurance.

If you have uninsured motorist insurance coverage, your insurance company steps into the shoes of the at-fault driver. Your insurance company pays your medical bills, lost wages, and other damages up to your policy limits. Underinsured motorist insurance coverage works in a similar way.

State minimum liability coverage may be sufficient to cover the damages in many car accidents, but it does not cover all accidents. If you sustain an injury that requires you to have surgery, physical therapy, and ongoing medical treatment for several months, your damages can quickly exceed the state minimum liability insurance coverage. If you do not have underinsured motorist insurance coverage, you are responsible for paying medical bills and other expenses that exceed the other driver’s policy limits.

However, if you have underinsured motorist insurance coverage, your insurance company picks up the difference between the at-fault driver’s policy limits and your actual damages up to your policy limits. Because many drivers choose to carry minimum liability coverage, purchasing underinsured motorist insurance coverage is a relatively inexpensive way to protect yourself and your family.

Do I Need a Car Accident Lawyer for An Underinsured Motorist Insurance Claim?

As with any other insurance claim, we strongly urge that you consult with one of our car insurance lawyers before you discuss your claim with an insurance adjuster or attorney for the other driver. This also applies to filing a claim under your uninsured or underinsured motorist coverage.

Your insurance company is just like all other insurance companies — it is in business to make money. It will treat your claim as it treats all other claims; therefore, it will seek to pay the least amount possible to settle your claim. For that reason, it is always in your best interest to consult with an Indiana car accident lawyer to discuss your legal rights and your options for seeking full compensation for your injuries, damages, and losses.

Call Our Indiana Car Accident Lawyer for A Free Appointment

You can reach The Ken Nunn Law Office by telephone at 1-800-CALL-KEN or 1-800-225-5536. Contact our office today to get more information and schedule your free legal obligation and case evaluation with an Indiana car accident lawyer.