If you’ve turned on the news lately, you’ve seen a report about a tragic car accident. Indiana highways are currently littered with construction zones, There is no avoiding it, but there are ways to help ensure that you do not become another statistic on the evening news. An Indiana car accident lawyer offers some tips on avoiding accidents in construction zones.
- Stay alert – Drivers should always be aware of their surroundings and allow enough time to safely slow down and merge with traffic.
- Read and follow the orange signs – The orange signs are there for a reason. Read and follow the instructions as closely as possible, they will tell you what to expect ahead. Signs often inform drivers of narrow lanes, moving equipment, and workers in the road.
- Slow down – Drivers need to be aware and follow lower speed limits in construction zones, but should expect that the flow of traffic may be going slower than the posted limit. Workers on the road, construction activity, and heavy traffic all lead to lower speeds.
- Avoid distractions – Texting should never be done while driving a vehicle, but construction zones require even more diligence. Drivers should avoid texting, eating, drinking, and other similar activities while in a work zone.
- Plan ahead – Although it is not always possible, whenever practical alter your driving route to avoid construction zones. Before leaving the house, check the news or state police websites for updates on driving conditions and plan accordingly.
If you or a loved one is the unfortunate victim of a crash, contact us for a free no cost, no obligation consultation. Our experience law firm will fight for the money you deserve.