Rideshares may seem convenient, but they’re extremely risky. Riding with drivers who’ve worked more than 12 hours without professional training can increase the chance that you’re involved in a rideshare accident. If you were a passenger in an accident while getting a ride from an Uber or Lyft driver, would you know what to do?
A rideshare accident isn’t your only worry. The news seems to feature report after report of rideshare drivers physically and sometimes even sexually assaulting their passengers. An assault of any kind is traumatic. Often, it will be one person’s word against another person’s word. If you’re attacked by a rideshare driver, you need an Uber accident lawyer or a Lyft accident lawyer on your side to help you hold the perpetrator accountable.
If You’re the Passenger in a Rideshare Accident
Rideshare accidents are scary and raise a lot of questions. Is it the fault of the rideshare driver? Is it the fault of the other driver? Who will pay for your medical bills as a passenger? What if you can’t work? If you’re the passenger, there are some things you need to know:
- These accidents are rarely the passenger’s fault.
- The Uber or Lyft driver may not want to report the accident to the parent company. When drivers are involved in an accident, they’re often suspended, at least temporarily, while the accident is investigated. For many drivers, that could mean losing their only income.
- After your accident, call the police. The police will help facilitate the exchange of personal and insurance information. You need to get the name, address, and phone number of the rideshare driver and the other driver(s) involved; insurance information for the rideshare driver (including their personal car insurance policy); insurance information for the other driver; the make, model, license plate, and registration number for the vehicles involved; and the name, address, and phone number of any witness.
- You should report the accident immediately if you don’t have a medical emergency. Both Uber and Lyft have a way for you to report accidents through their websites and apps. Keep in mind that the rideshare company won’t necessarily look out for what’s in your best interest. As a for-profit company, they also must concern themselves with property damage and their driver. To make sure that you’re treated fairly, you need an Uber car accident lawyer or a Lyft car accident lawyer.
- Document, document, document. The more information you have about the rideshare accident, the more you can protect your claim. Use your smartphone to take photos of the damage to the cars, the scene of the accident, a picture of the road to help verify road conditions, and a photo that shows the time of day.
Dealing with the Insurance Company after a Rideshare Accident
It’s not easy to deal with an insurance company in a traditional car accident. A rideshare accident presents even more issues. You have the insurance company for Uber or Lyft, the insurance company for the rideshare driver, and the insurance company of the other driver to consider. While all affected insurance companies must be notified, they may try to pass off responsibility amongst themselves.
Uber and Lyft insurance is generally the primary insurance affected in a rideshare accident. They both provide a $1 million per accident for personal injury. If your injuries or the property damage exceed that amount, the rideshare driver’s personal car insurance policy may also pay out.
In a serious rideshare accident that causes a spinal cord injury or another devastating injury. There’s no guarantee that Uber or Lyft will pay out like they should. In fact, a little girl was struck and killed by an Uber driver in San Francisco. Uber argued that they weren’t responsible and shouldn’t have to pay for the little girl’s death. The rideshare driver had a previous conviction for reckless driving at the time of the accident. The family of the child sued Uber for wrongful death. Ultimately, Uber settled the claim with the family. While there’s no amount of money that can totally compensate someone for their injuries or the loss of life, an Uber accident lawyer or Lyft accident lawyer can help ensure you are treated fairly.
An Uber car accident lawyer or a Lyft car accident lawyer can help you get the money you need to pay for your medical bills. Having a lawyer protect your interests is one of the best things you can do to heal from your injuries. You focus on getting better. We focus on protecting your legal rights.
If you’ve been hurt in a rideshare accident or were assaulted by a rideshare driver, call us right away. Don’t wait. We can help you hold the driver and the rideshare company responsible for their negligence.