Have you taken Neurontin® and suffered severe side effects, including suicidal behavior? Contact Ken Nunn immediately at 1-800-CALL-KEN.
Known generically as gabapentin, Neurontin® first received Food and Drug Administration (FDA) approval in 1993 as an “adjunctive therapy” for patients suffering from epilepsy. However, off-label marketing for Neurontin® by its manufacturer, Pfizer, has been a serious problem. Although it is not illegal for a doctor to prescribe a drug for conditions outside of those for which it was approved, it is illegal for a drug company to market a medication for off-label uses. Pfizer has been accused of deliberately forming a plan to persuade doctors to prescribe Neurontin® as an off-label treatment for:
- Restless leg syndrome (RLS)
- Bipolar disorder
- Pain syndromes, peripheral neuropathy, and diabetic neuropathy
- Treatment of epilepsy alone (as monotherapy)
- Drug and alcohol withdrawal seizures
- Reflex sympathetic dystrophy (RSD)
- Trigeminal neuralgia
- Attention deficit disorder (ADD)
- Essential tremor periodic limb movement
- Post-hepatic neuralgia (PHN)
These 11 uses were never submitted to the FDA for approval, yet were promoted – illegally. State and federal prosecutors launched investigations into the allegedly illegal marketing of Neurontin®, leading Pfizer to admit “that it aggressively marketed [Neurontin®] by illicit means for unrelated conditions.” So far, Pfizer has agreed to pay $430 million dollars in penalties and has entered a corporate integrity agreement promising to use better marketing practices in the future.
In addition to the off-label use issues, Neurontin® was included in a review of about 200 different clinical studies involving nearly 44,000 individuals taking certain epilepsy drugs, which found that users were twice as likely to experience suicidal behavior. The FDA has issued a warning of an increased risk of suicidal thoughts and behaviors in patients taking Neurontin®. The approved label for Neurontin® now includes a warning about an increased risk of suicidal thoughts or actions and a guide to help patients understand this risk.
Prescription drug injuries have a huge impact on your life and your families. Put a fighter on your side and show these drug companies that they can’t get away with selling defective products. I am Ken Nunn, The Indiana Injury Lawyer. Contact me today to receive a free consultation on your Neurontin® case at 1-800-CALL-KEN. The initial consultation is free and the clock is running, so don’t delay. Call now!
Latest posts by The Ken Nunn Law Office (see all)
- Mega Lawsuit From Megabus Accident | Ken Nunn - January 7, 2015
- Indianapolis Accident Lawyers Want You to Watch Out for Black Ice - November 14, 2014
- Indianapolis Wrongful Death Lawyers Want to See Justice When Negligence Harms Our Children - November 12, 2014